Sunday, November 10, 2013

Had a long nap...

I was asked by someone I love very much, who am I writing for? It seems a very simple question, yet if you hadn't ever considered it before, while traipsing around calling yourself a writer than really it's a huge reality check. Because when I was asked who I'm writing for I didn't have an answer... Oh I came up with a few. "Yes yes I'm writing for girls.. yes.. I'm writing for adults who've been abused, no no I'm writing for baby lesbians who struggle to come out of the closet... NO NO I'm writing for all people who want a voice.. " Well shit.. if I don't have a target audience then the undeniable truth is this... All this time I have been writing for myself. Woah... mind blowing! I woke up this morning with a song in my head. My Cherokee relatives have called to me in their music. "We'en de ya ho!" Anyone who knows me has heard me say it before... has heard me sing it before.. and some know what it means. "I am of the great spirit HO!" I am... of the great spirit... So... it is the core of my central belief, and always has been, that we are all interconnected. Each person has a place on the wheel of life. My gift from the medicine wheel was a great heart. The rest.. I must find. I take from the lessons my mother taught me, my strength. I can overcome adversity. I take from the lesson my lover taught me, my skills in battle, I am a warrior! I take from the lessons my little niece taught me, my love for teaching... I am a teacher! And I take, from the lessons I taught myself.. I am a creator! I am a story teller! Now.. now that I know myself, now that I've reaffirmed what it is to be me.. Who the hell am I writing for? Well, what do I want to teach? Young girls, though these models don't look like you, and you may never wear a size two, you are worthy and beautiful. You deserve love and respect. Mature women, you are wise from the lessons you've learned, but there is still an active lesson you are learning now... how to keep your mind open and learn something new. I am gay, I am black, I am cherokee, I have european ancestors and guess what? I deserve a place in this world, and all the others like me do too. So... who am I writing for? I am writing for girls, old and young... I am writing for women who like me, want to make a difference, but perhaps they don't know how, gay or straight, white or black, native american or indian or... whatever the level of melanin your skin may have.. I am writing to contribute to the web of life.. to spark a cord out into the universe and make it shudder with life, innovation, and awakening. Ultimately, I am writing to spread the lesson love has taught me, on to you.. and I hope you make it viral. Nothing is beyond your scope of ability, everything CAN be achieved, icy hearts CAN melt, open wounds CAN heal, and lingering germs can be cleansed. It all depends on you. Are you willing to open your wounds, dig in and clean them out? Are you prepared to stitch them up, slather salve on them, and wrap them EVERY DAY? Everyone has damage, and I'm writing to you ladies out there that perhaps feel them in a profound way. It's time to reclaim the heart of all people. It's time to wake up, and to spread something good, but first, we must clean out the infection of hate, fear, and self doubt. Wake up, my sisters. WAKE UP

1 comment: